The Center of History
Bible Passage: Daniel 8
The History channel can be addicting, stepping back in time to discover “The Toys That Built America,” or exploring the ancient world or seeing what antique the American pickers found this week — or you may even tune in to an old episode of “Modern Marvels” and see our very own worship leader Tom Bloodgood talking all about, of all things, taxidermy. Who knew learning about the past can be so fascinating?
Here in the book of Daniel, the prophet is giving us a history lesson featuring a ram, a goat and a mysterious little horn. It’s a history lesson with a twist — it’s told in advance. Three visions, three interpretations. You can read it for yourself in Daniel 8.
The prophecies are so specific, so spectacular in how they all have come to pass, that doubters speculate that this book had to have been written after the events took place. They missed the whole point. Only a God who rules over history could do this.
In fact, Jesus is at the center of history!
God knows in advance exactly what is going to happen. He directs how history will unfold. He is in control, guiding history, ultimately pointing everything to Jesus. No matter what we may read in the headlines, there is no reason to fear. We know the time is near and our King will return. Until then, we can be about the King’s business, telling this dark, broken, suffering world that there is another King coming. His kingdom is forever!
GROWING DEEPER STUDY
READ: Daniel 8
WATCH Sunday’s service
INTRO: What is your favorite historical event?
VISION ONE: RAM WITH TWO HORNS (8:1-4, 15-20)
- Daniel had troubles understanding the meaning of the vision and God sent him Gabriel. What are some ways we can better understand God’s Word? What urgent point did Gabriel repeatedly stress? Why is this significant?
VISION TWO: GOAT WITH CONSPICUOUS HORN (8:5-8, 21-22)
- What stands out to you about Alexander the Great’s life? Why did God care about the Greek Empire?
VISION THREE: THE LITTLE HORN (8:9-14, 23-37)
- Reading about the future can be frightening. How does knowing our ultimate future — that Jesus is coming back in victory — ease our fears?
- How does each vision point to the truth that Jesus is the center of history?
- How can we use the insights from Daniel’s vision to pray for our world today
- What are you doing to “be about the King’s business”?
- What did you learn this week? How will this impact your walk with the Lord?