No Other Gospel
Bible Passage: Galatians 1:6-12
There’s a picturesque lake in the mountains — perfect for hiking around, picnicking, swimming, fishing, and boating. At one time the waters were pristine, pure and clean. Until the day someone brought a boat with its hull covered with a peculiar algae. It didn’t take long for that algae to contaminate the entire lake, choking out the life of the fish and tourism, and costing an outrageous amount to battle for the life of the lake.
So it was in Galatia. Paul planted churches there by preaching the gospel — the pristine, pure and clean gospel of Jesus Christ. After Paul left, false teachers introduced a twisted version of the gospel and the Galatian people responded by turning their backs on God and putting their faith in this false gospel. Paul makes it crystal clear: There is no other gospel
That’s what the book of Galatians is all about: the gospel. It’s the essential message to mankind, the very heart of God’s message to us all. Jesus alone saves us. Jesus alone gives life. Jesus alone lifts burdens, brings peace and security. Not because of anything we have done but because of what Jesus did.
Jesus loves you. He will always love you. How do we know? The gospel. Look at the cross. Look at what Jesus did on the cross. The verdict is already in. We don’t live life for His approval. Through the grace of God, we live life from His approval. God loves. God pursues. God saves and rescues. That changes everything. I’m going to live for Him.
READ: Galatians 1:6-12
WATCH Sunday’s service
STUDY: The Four Dangers of “Another Gospel”
INTRO: Tell of a time you were fooled by a silly prankster
1. “ANOTHER GOSPEL” WILL REVERSE THE GOSPEL (1:6-7)
Anyone who tries to change or add to the Gospel message, even in the slightest way, turns it completely inside out. There is only one true Gospel message. Look at what Jesus did on the cross. It’s not because of anything we can do, but because what He has already done.
- What reason does Paul give for being “astonished”? What things are you seeing in mainstream Christian churches today that astonish you? How might you refute them?
- How would you answer someone who asks, “I don’t get why Paul is so upset over a few theological semantics?” What “distorted gospel” upsets you? How can Galatians help you refute it?
2. IT WILL BREAK OUR RELATIONSHIP (1:6)
When we turn away from the Gospel, we are deserting the One who pursued us and saved us. We’re not deserting a belief or religion, we are deserting Him! Our relationship with Jesus is broken. God does everything to restore that relationship and invites us to come.
- What are some ways we can desert the Gospel? Have you ever been fooled by a false teacher? ever added to the Gospel in order to feel “closer” to God? been legalistic? How was your relationship with Jesus restored?
3. IT WILL REPLACE RELATIONSHIP WITH TRADITION/RELIGION (1:8-9)
Church leadership and traditions are not the ultimate authority. Our authority is Jesus. He purchased our freedom and salvation. He changes everything.
- How can church leadership and traditions be dangerous?
- What happens when people set up additional requirements for salvation? How do we know what to believe?
- What does the word “curse” mean in these verses? What does this suggest about tinkering with the gospel or altering Christ’s message?
4. IT WILL WORSHIP MAN NOT GOD (1:10)
Seeking approval of others — being a people pleaser — leads to bondage. The Gospel sets us free. In Christ, we already have the approval of God.
- What is wrong with trying to win the approval of others? Whose approval do you seek?
- What is your response when you recognize the only One whose opinion matters — He loves you, pursues you, saves and rescues you?
CONCLUSION: What did you learn this week? How will this impact your walk with the Lord?