Behind the Scenes of History
Bible Passage: Daniel 10
Most everyone likes to witness behind-the-scenes, to get an inside glimpse of something others may not get to see. In a sense, behind-the-scenes moments feel authentic.
Fascinating things also take place behind-the-scenes in the supernatural realm, things we do not see and may not understand. There are times when it may appear that God isn’t answering our prayers immediately, and it’s due to behind-the-scenes spiritual warfare.
Take Daniel, for instance. He had been praying with intensity for three full weeks with seemingly no answer. Little did Daniel know, the moment he began praying, he was heard, the answer was sent, but was delayed due to unseen spiritual battle scenes. After 21 days, the standoff was ended and his prayer was answered. Daniel was comforted to know that God did not forget him. Read all about it in Daniel 10.
As Max Lucado says, “Have your prayers been met with a silent sky? Have you prayed and heard nothing? If so, don’t give up.” There is a spiritual battle, a war that surrounds us, a fierce attack that is real. The enemy uses discouragement, disappointment, distractions, disasters, anything he can to bring us down. The challenge is before us. Be like Daniel: Pray without ceasing. Never give up. Keep praying.
What the angel said to Daniel, God says to you. You have been heard. You are greatly beloved. He will help you stand to your feet. Feel His touch. Receive His peace, courage and strength. We never need to fear because Jesus is closer and more powerful than we think.
GROWING DEEPER STUDY
READ: Daniel 10
WATCH Sunday’s service
INTRO: Share about a time when you prayed for something/someone for a long time. What was the result?
A REAL CONCERN FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD (10:1-3)
- What caused Daniel to mourn, fast, and seek God in prayer for three weeks?
- Have you ever felt like your prayers weren’t heard? What did you learn about persevering in prayer during such times?
A VISION OF THE SUFFICIENCY OF GOD (10:4-10)
- How does Daniel describe the man he saw? Why is this description significant? How did Daniel react to the sight?
- What do you find comforting in this passage?
A BATTLE FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD (10:10-14)
- What did the angel say immediately happened when Daniel prayed?
- Why had the angel been delayed in relaying this message from God back to Daniel?
- Here we get a brief glimpse into an unseen spiritual world. What thoughts do you have about the battles that are raging behind the scenes? How does it make you feel?
- What does this story say about the power of prayer? about the warfare that takes place in the spiritual realm when you pray? Why do you think the enemy is so determined to disrupt our communication with God? What are some things you have witnessed God doing as a result of prayer?
THERE IS STRENGTH FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD (10:18-21)
- How many times was Daniel touched by God in this chapter? How has God “touched” your life?
- Daniel was told several times he was greatly loved. How does knowing you are greatly loved affect you?
- When has God given you strength in a time of need?
- What did you learn this week? How will this impact your walk with the Lord?