A Remarkable Prophecy
Bible Passage: Daniel 11
Seems like we always remember where we were when calamity strikes. Like the moment when the first jet slammed into a World Trade Center tower. Fear and uncertainty dominated our country. People searched for truth, hope, and stability.
The prophet Daniel shares one of the most complicated and detailed prophecies in all the Bible. And yet it is also one of the most encouraging prophecies because it is so specific and accurate. You can read it for yourself in Daniel 11. Our God writes history in advance — and every single prophesy comes true. How can that be? God has all the power. He is in the details.
Here is what Daniel is telling us. The conflict will continue, things will get worse, days will get darker, life for believers will be challenging. Boy, that was a depressing sentence to type. But when all hope seems lost — the grand and glorious news — we will see Jesus Christ riding into human history, as King of kings and Lord of lords. Indeed, the final conflict is coming that will bring an end to all evil and conflict. Once and for all! Jesus wins!
He is our truth, our hope, and our stability! His hand is on history, now and forever. No matter what comes our way, we can face anything *with* Him, especially since He promises to deliver us. It’s true — since He wins, we are victorious too!
GROWING DEEPER STUDY
READ: Daniel 11
WATCH Sunday’s service
INTRO: If you could do anything you pleased, what would you do?
GOD’S HAND IS ON HISTORY AND THERE IS EVIDENCE (11:2-19)
- What does it mean to you when these kings can be positively identified in history?
- Why does all of history revolve around Israel and Jesus?
- How does knowing that God controls the future impact how you live in the present?
- We walk by faith and stand on fact. There is overwhelming historical evidence that proves that every prophecy in the Bible has come to pass. God has proved Himself believable. What is the key to your own personal trust in God?
THERE IS CONFLICT FOR GOD’S PEOPLE BUT DON’T LOSE HEART (11:21-35)
- Daniel spent a lifetime taking a stand for God. Now is the time for us to be the people who know God and stand. What does that mean to you? Where do you need to stand for God right now?
- Do you believe God can use difficulty to work in His people? If so, how has He used it in your life?
- What is your hope during times of difficulty or uncertainty? How do you explain your source of hope to others?
- What are you feeling uncertain about right now? How is God refining your heart through the turmoil you are facing?
THERE IS A FINAL CONFLICT THAT WILL BRING AN END TO CONFLICT (11:36-45)
- Describe the self-exalting king/the antichrist in your own words. (v36-39) How do you guard against self-exaltation in your own life?
- The final battle will put an end to evil, once and for all. What excites you most about how the story ends? How would your life be if you focused less on the uncertain times surrounding us now, and focused more on our soon coming King and the future He has planned for His children?
- How does Daniel 11 affect your view of God? What aspects of His character surface in your mind?
- What did you learn this week? How will this impact your walk with the Lord?